News archive 2000

News archive 2000

News archive 2000

31 December 2000

31 Dec 2000 GMT

From the shipping company (Dec 25, 2000)
We, Bertus, Caroline, Eliane, Els, Gerben, Hakan, Hylke, Jip, Martin, Peter and Sep, wish you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Dec 21, 2000 15:18 GMT
Last Saturday we had Open Ship. Many visitors came to the Veerhaven harbour. People who were passenger once, came to show the ship to their friends and relatives, and many citizens of Rotterdam took the opportunity to take a closer look at the Rotterdam tall ship.
The crew is busy repairing and renewing some of the flooring boards. Today the ‘Oosterschelde’ is in the Leuvehaven harbour where we will hoist a new generator in the front engine room.

Dec 3, 2000 16:55 GMT
Slowly some life gets back into the ship. On Wednesday we’ll sail a daytrip in the Rotterdam harbours. Most of the cabins have been repainted. Four of us are busy with the maintenance work, every day.
In our little harbour Veerhaven, all the ships have illuminated their masts and rigging, a nice sight in these dark winter days. On Saturday December 16, the ‘Oosterschelde’ will be open to the public. Spread this news and be there!

From the shipping company (Nov 26, 2000)
Last weekend in England we participated in the yearly ISTA Conference (International Sail Training Association). We discussed the things that are needed to make ISTA races and Sail events to a success. Harbours that organised Sail events last summer reported their experiences. Harbours that plan to organise Sail events in the near future, presented their plans. For us a weekend to make new and refresh old contacts and to discuss possible future voyages.
The work on the ship is slow. We wait for some replacing parts of the anchor winch to arrive from Denmark. And some crew members are on leave while some others are in bed with a flu. Several new steel-wires are ready to be fitted, so on Monday we will be at work in the rigging if the weather permits us.

And: open ship on December 16, from 11:00 till 16:00. Location: Rotterdam, Veerhaven. You are very welcome.

From the shipping company (Nov 11, 2000)
Former secretary of the board of our foundation The Rotterdam Sailing Ship, Pieter Blussé van Oud Alblas, yesterday got the Edgar Doncker award because of his tremendous importance for the traditional ships of the country.
Pieter raised almost all the money (3 million Dutch guilders) needed to restore the ‘Oosterschelde’. He did the same for many other projects: organizing, networking, lobbying, raising interest and raising money.

Oct 30, 2000 08:46 GMT
The ‘Oosterschelde’ is still in her own berth in Rotterdam. Our people in the office are very busy dealing with 2001; on the ship there is some rest now. The windy and rainy weather hinders the work in the rigging and the painting outside. Some replacements have been ordered like a new generator and a new woodstove. Some repairs inside are done, like new parts in the saloon flooring. Next week we start painting inside. All cabins will be cleaned, painted and, if necessary, repaired.

Oct 22, 2000 20:10 GMT
We sailed daytrips out of Hellevoetsluis for three consecutive days. Beautiful weather, agreeable temperatures, nice winds and tens and tens of interested guests. On Saturday we had a total of 70 guests on board enjoying this opportunity. Some were old acquaintances of the ship and they brought some friends or relatives to come and have a look for themselves. Some new friends of the ship discovered this opportunity in the Programme page of this website.
Monday morning we will leave and go to sea by way of the locks of Stellendam; we will be back in Rotterdam that afternoon.

From the shipping company (Oct 19, 2000)
Great news: Dick van Andel has been knighted by the Queen of the Netherlands!
Mayor Jan Luteijn of Werkendam disclosed yesterday on board of the ‘Oosterschelde’ that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix had decided to make him a Knight in the Order of Oranje-Nassau.
By buying the ship, with borrowed money and on a private basis, Dick alone was the originator of the ‘Oosterschelde’ restoration. Above all: he personally directed the restoration from A to Z, he also was the first captain and on top of that he set up and directed the company that nows runs the ‘Oosterschelde’.
All this he did for 12 years at a stretch. His work has been of great importance to the shipping and the shipping history of the Netherlands. This effort now has been rewarded in a royal way.

Oct 16, 2000 11:29 GMT
We left Urk on Friday. In the evening we moored in Amsterdam where we stayed for the Saturday. On Sunday we went to IJmuiden to go through the locks and meet the sea again. Heavy fog forced us to go slowly. But soon the fog cleared and we had a quite agreeable day on the sea, with the currents and the wind in the back. At 18:00 hrs we were back in Rotterdam again.
This Monday morning we received the new service pipes; if all goes well, tonight everything on the ship again will be functioning as usual.
We plan to leave Rotterdam on Thursday; we will then sail to Hellevoetsluis for the three daytrips (check our Programme.).

From the shipping company (Oct 12, 2000)
The 4 day voyage to England of May 23-27, 2001 is completely booked.
We would like to direct your attention once more to the opportunity to sail along with us for one day, out of Hellevoetsluis in the south west of the Netherlands on October 20, 21 and 22. Check our Programme.

Oct 10, 2000 19:26 GMT
In the dock we are very busy. We have to paint new anti-fouling on the bottom. The paint that was applied in New Zealand in 1997 however is coming off on some places, so we grind and clean and apply primer before the painting starts. Part of one of the anchor chains has been replaced and several service pipes have been dismantled. We hope the weather will stay fine, enabling us to do some extra painting outside.

Oct 5, 2000 19:55 GMT
After two lovely days – almost like an indian summer – we arrived in Urk. We hoped to be in dock the same day, but that was not possible. Today the ‘Oosterschelde’ came dripping out of the water. It is always a scary business, the ship standing there in such a delicate equilibrium. Tomorrow, after the high pressure cleaning of the hull, we will be able to inspect the underwater part of the ship and to determine the amount of work involved.

Oct 2, 2000 08:25 GMT
We have left Rotterdam, are now sailing close to Maassluis and we are going to Urk to go in dock for survey and maintenance. Tonight we will be in Amsterdam. The ship will go in dock on Oct 5 and we plan to be back in Rotterdam around Oct16.

From the shipping company (Sep 29, 2000)
We will have an open ship on December 16 from 11:00 until 16:00 hrs. You are very welcome to visit the ‘Oosterschelde’ at her own berth in the harbour Veerhaven of Rotterdam.

From the shipping company (Sep 27, 2000)
We have a vacancy for a cook for the summer of 2001. If you are interested, contact us.

Sep 24, 2000 15:48 GMT
During the last week we prepared the different surveys that will take place this winter. Because of the nice weather, some outside painting could be done. And we clean the stores.
In between we sailed some daytrips. Yesterday for instance we were out at sea with a company that celebrated a marriage, the groom being a direct descendant of the Appelo’s that built the ‘Oosterschelde’ in 1917/1918.

From the shipping company (Sep 18, 2000)
For a week now no news on the site. We have to get used to a ship that is home and not roaming the seas.
We will let you know once a week how the ship is doing and what we are doing on the ship in the coming months. For instance, very soon she will be in dock.
Another thing: some 2001 voyages already are almost fully booked. Be in time. In case you haven’t decided yet, we suggest you to make a reservation.

Sep 11, 2000 21:00 GMT
Well, we did leave Scheveningen the next morning, Wednesday, at 06:00. During the days to come the ‘Oosterschelde’ would function as race control for the ABN Amro Race for yachts on the North Sea. One leg from Scheveningen to Ramsgate and one leg vice versa. SW 6 and a warning for NW 7-8. The organisation decided to postpone the race start and we all sailed to Rotterdam. (All of a sudden the ‘Oosterschelde’ found herself home after one whole year.) The next morning we started the race in a beautiful NW 3-4. That night it grew into SW 6 and many yachts had to drop out of the race. We arrived at Ramsgate on Friday, at 09:30. After the usual party for the crews, the race back started Saturday morning. There was hardly any wind and the leg was finished halfway. On Sunday afternoon, at 14:00 hrs, we were moored at our own place in our own harbour, the Veerhaven, in our own city, Rotterdam.
The ‘Oosterschelde’ will be home for a while. It’s been a long time.

From the shipping company (Sep 7, 2000)
Using our Antarctica experience, the Dutch barque ‘Europa’ from Amsterdam will sail to the Antarctic in the coming southern summer. Out of Ushuaia, Argentina, 4 expeditions will be made to the Antarctic peninsula. Dates are: 12.12-01.02, 01.04-01.25, 01.27-02.17 and 02.19-03.12.
The ‘Europa’ originally is a light vessel from the German Bight, built in 1911 in Hamburg, Germany. She has been changed into a classical three masted barque in 1988/1994. Also, she is important as one of the few Dutch tall ships. She takes 52 guests. The ‘Europa’ is privately owned.
The Shipping company ‘Oosterschelde’ plans and sells the voyages and provides pilotage and guides in the area.
Site ‘Europa’:

Sep 5, 2000 12:00 GMT
Sunday, after the Parade, we left Bremerhaven. After a nice trip on the North Sea, we arrived in Scheveningen this morning at 05:00. We sailed nearly all of it, with winds from N and NW. Tomorrow morning we will leave for Ramsgate (UK).

From the shipping company (Aug 31, 2000)
Dutch Mail on Aug 21 has issued a series of 10 stamps of 80 cents, each with a ship that participated in Sail Amsterdam. The ‘Oosterschelde’ is one of them.

Aug 30, 2000 19:15 GMT
At 18:00 we have arrived at Bremerhaven, after a beautiful trip from IJmuiden. In every way a perfect trip: fair winds in the hind quarters, breathtaking skies, the sun, and also the other tall ships, going to the same destination. Imagine coming on deck and seeing the ‘Krusenshtern’ next to you.
Fully booked. 24 German guests this time. They all want to arrive at the start of Sail Bremerhaven in this way: on board of the ‘Oosterschelde’. This sail in our experience is a rare mix of intimacy and big size. It also offers good (and rare) opportunities for crews to meet crews.
(The 82 year old lady enjoys herself, we can feel it.)
ETD to Rotterdam Sep 4 (ETA Sep 5).

Aug 28, 2000 15:16 GMT
With some 75 guests we sailed the Parade Out out of Amsterdam to the sea locks of IJmuiden; we were the leading ship. We are now through the locks and moored in the Haringhaven. Tonight we start sailing to Bremerhaven (Germany) for another sail event.
ETA Bremerhaven Aug 30.

Aug 24, 2000 13:05 GMT
During the Parade from the sea to Amsterdam, there were huge crowds on both shores of the Northsea Canal and on the canal itself hundreds of small boats were sailing along with the tall ships. The weather was fair, with a little bit of wind from the west. Former captain and director of our shipping company Dick van Andel was sailing there too to welcome us, in his beautifully restored ‘zalmschouw’ (a Dutch fishing boat of the river Rhine).
The ‘Oosterschelde’ is moored at the Oostelijke Handelskade. Every day we have an open ship, at least from 12:00 until 16:00 hrs. You are very welcome.
ETD to Bremerhaven is Aug 28.

Aug 24, 2000 07:10 GMT
We have left the locks of IJmuiden and in a couple of hours we will sail in the Parade to Amsterdam, together with the other tall ships.

Aug 22, 2000 08:00 GMT
We have arrived (10:00) in Scheveningen. The ‘Oosterschelde’ is back in the Netherlands after 11 months of the ‘Tour of the Americas’. Tomorrow we will sail to IJmuiden and from there we will participate in the Parade to Amsterdam, where the ship will be part of Sail Amsterdam.

Aug 21, 2000 11:14 GMT
At the time of our departure from Fécamp, a lot of wind was expected, but it never reached us. Soon it became clear to us that Ostende was no option. After a very impressive sunset, we sailed into the night doing some 2 to 3 knots. The next morning we decided to go to Dover.
This probably is the last quiet day for the ship and the crew. ETA Scheveningen Aug 22 at 09:30 hrs.

Aug 19, 2000 23:33 GMT
08.18: Arrival at Fécamp (France) was spectacular because of the strong current at the entrance and this was very exciting. We were moored inside the dock, with a tide of 8 meters outside the doors. It is a beautiful little city with chalk-cliffs. Many of us made walks in the splendid environment and some visited a Benedictine monastery.
08.19: We left Fécamp at 15:00 hrs. Slowly we are nearing the Netherlands. Our next stop is Ostende (Belgium). We heard that many ships already have arrived at Scheveningen and other Dutch ports. We try to visit some other parts of Europe first; especially our American guests like that.

From the shipping company (Aug 17, 2000)
We added details to the provisional schedule for 2001 and we added some voyage descriptions and prices. See Programme.

Aug 16, 2000 23:58 GMT
Since Aug 15 we are in Weymouth. We will leave tomorrow morning (Aug 17) and we plan to go to Fécamp on the French coast; ETA Friday morning.

Aug 14, 2000 19:05 GMT
08.12. Lots of rain but we race through the water. We pass our last waypoint, Bishop Rock, at 17:33. Definitely on the English Channel. Amazingly small waves.
08.13. Torrential rains, but a nice speed too. We celebrate Steven’s birthday. We had been afraid that the wind would go but the area of low pressure goes east, so that’s why we have rain ànd wind. So we have some time to visit some places after the finish. Finish was at 19:09.
08.14. We anchored at Brixham this morning. A bit unusual after three weeks at sea. No rain!

From the shipping company (Aug 14, 2000)
You can sail along with us during the Parade out at the end of Sail Amsterdam 2000. On Aug 28, the ships will sail to sea by way of the Northsea Canal, from Amsterdam to the locks of IJmuiden. Departure from Amsterdam at 09:00, arrival at IJmuiden around 15:00.
Anyone can sail along with us to the locks. We charge 135 guilders. 35 guilders for the trip, including coffee, tea and lunch, and 100 guilders will go in support of our next youth project, ‘Hora di bai’, planned for 2001.
If you want to join us, pay 135 guilders per person to our bank account (in the name of ‘BV Reederij Oosterschelde’). Please mention “Parade”. We will be able to accommodate 100 persons. If you pay in time, we will send you a confirmation and the details of our ship’s berth (embarking between 08:00 and 09:00). Otherwise, we will send the whole amount back to you.

Aug 14, 2000 12:27 GMT
We have finished. Right now we are entering the harbour of Brixham, on the English south coast. More news later today.

From the shipping company (Aug 12, 2000)
We would like to draw your attention to the possibilities of sailing along with us for just one day, in coming October; visit our page Programme and check out October.
And: our provisional programme of our 2001 voyages has been placed on that same page Programme.

Noon positions & GPS log (nautical miles) from Halifax to Wight:
07.26: 43 42 N & 061 55 W
07.27: 41 26 N & 060 02 W
07.28: 29 42 N & 058 17 W
07.29: 29 42 N & 058 16 W – 592
07.30: 42 31 N & 057 39 W
07.31: 41 52 N & 055 19 W – 763
08.01: 41 37 N & 051 54 W
08.02: 42 18 N & 048 32 W – 1089
08.03: 43 28 N & 044 16 W
08.04: 44 37 N & 042 00 W – 1430
08.05: 45 34 N & 038 37 W – 1573
08.06: 46 16 N & 034 38 W – 1759
08.07: 47 06 N & 029 32 W – 1965
08.08: 47 54 N & 024 17 W – 2183
08.09: 48 15 N & 020 54 W – 2324
08.10: 49 26 N & 018 19 W – 2455
08.11: 49 29 N & 013 15 W
08.12: 49 10 N & 007 48 W – 2868
08.13: 50 10 N & 002 39 W
08.13: finish at 19:09 GMT

Aug 12, 2000 20:20 GMT
Finish ETA is now 24 hrs, but it depends on the development of the low in our area. Right now we would predict a NE-ly in the Wight finishing area.
After we will have finished, we have to decide where we will spend the time until the opening Parade of Sail Amsterdam. There are many attractive possibilities.
We understood that we will be the second ship on the Parade in, right behind the new ‘Stad Amsterdam’.

Aug 12, 2000 12:55 GMT
08.11: Beautiful sunrise with two perfect rainbows. Again we are being followed by huge groups of dolphins. We also see the first gannet, sign of the land that we are nearing. In the evening we reach the contintal shelf: we go from a depth of 4000 meters to one of 150 meters. Much rain.
08.12: Still good wind and speed. Remarkably low swell. Still 40 miles to go to Bishop Rock (near the Scilly Isles). We have crossed the ocean and are now entering the English Channel. Much, much rain.

Aug 10, 2000 13:14 GMT
Yesterday there was no progress at all, for there was no wind at all. Because of the slapping, we had to lower the sails to prevent damage. Many of us took the chance to have a swim in the Atlantic, with 3500 meters of water below. In the evening some wind came and many took a ride in the MOB boat to take some photographs of the ship. In the dark the sea appeared wonderfully fluorescent and the fish made streaks of green light.
Later last night the wind grew stronger. At the moment we have a wind of 6-7 Bft and much rain. We have not yet been able to steer our planned course but we expect the wind to veer. Nice speed and good moods.

Aug 8, 2000 15:53 GMT
On Aug 7 we sailed in heavy fog, with a nice speed of 7-10 knots. Today a front passed us and the sky cleared. It has been some days since we had that much sun. The wind veered at the same time, so we had to gybe. The wind now is WNW and our course is 075 degrees, with a speed of 9 knots. We are gaining some miles on the other ships, also on those of the first group, which now has much less wind.

From the shipping company (Aug 7, 2000)
Our provisional programme of 2001 has been placed on the page Programme.

Aug 6, 2000 13:31 GMT
At first with some hesitation, but now the weather really gets better and better. Yesterday, with the wind in the back and some sunshine through the clouds, Doug and Joshua flew their kites. They brought a couple of them and their kites all are launched on the same wire. As soon as the lifting power was considered to be enough, they attached a camera. A home made remote control enabled them to direct the camera and push its buttons. It looked fine from the deck and we hope for some nice aerial photographs.
Today the wind backed a bit more. We sail in a constant 5-6 Bft wind. All the sails are up. For hours now we have done 10 knots, and we still do. Many, many dolphins. We saw a group of a hundred crossing our course. This is great sailing!

Aug 4, 2000 15:54 GMT
(The finish line of this tall ships’ race will be a line to the south from St. Catherine’s Lighthouse on the Isle of Wight (UK).)
Lots of rain in a variable wind, force 0-3 Bft. Most of the time we have the wind come in over the stern, in a high and tumultuous swell. Often we have to take away some sails because they just bang themselves to smithereens.
There is a big split in the pack. The front group still has a nice and sturdy westerly wind, our second group just has some light winds now and then.
Today for the first time we saw more than a bit of real sunshine . Uptill now it was mainly clouds, fog and drizzle.
Our group is some 10 ships, among them the ‘Europa’. Within this group there is a race too.

Aug 3, 2000 00:52 GMT
Finally some good days. The weather has its ups and downs, with fog patches and showers. We make good progress. On the morning of Aug 2 we passed our most southern (obligatory) waypoint and from now on we steer directly for Bishop Rock (near the Scilly’s). Right now the wind has subsided, but we did 10 knots during the day. This morning (Aug 2) we had a echo on the radar. After we changed our course a bit to have a look, it appeared to be the Columbian ‘Gloria’. For the rest of the day we sailed a parallel course and now we are some 10 miles ahead of her.
Everyone is enjoying.

July 31, 2000 22:04 GMT
Immediately after sending our previous message, the wind disappeared. Of course the high waves stayed, so we had a day of banging sails and snapping ropes. In the evening some of the wind came back, now in the right direction. At the moment we do a nice 6 knots, the wind in our back.
Big differences in the pack. Some ships are closer tot the depression and go fast, some have less wind. Just going in the right direction for the first time, makes us glad. The difference between the GPS log and the Walker tow log indicates we are in the Gulfstream now. Everyone is at home on the ship now, due to the many changes of sails. Although we are in the back of the pack, the athmosphere among us is great.
A few moments ago we saw the ‘Europa’ come in sight next to us.

July 29, 2000 13:28 GMT
The noon position shows that not much progress has been made, although we make many miles. Still wind from the wrong direction. Tacking in the now much higher seas is difficult. Last night and today the wind is 7 Bft and the wave height is 5 meters. We made a long port tack; then the wind veered and we are now back on the course we made yesterday. Everyone is soaked. We really look forward to the weather front. Ships that sail 60 miles south of us, have a wind of 2 Bft and also from a nice direction.
Yesterday we ate a big tunny that we caught in the warm water of the Gulfstream.

July 27, 2000 14:12 GMT
Finally wind. Still from the NE (where we have to go) but there is some progress now. Yesterday we floated for hours without enough speed to steer.
Now we have a southerly course, the sails at starboard. This way we do not approach the 2nd waypoint that we have to do, but we expect the wind to turn to SE and the NE-ly Gulf Stream to pick up soon. We hope this tactic is the right one.
The ‘Oosterschelde’ has a full underwater shape and old fashioned heavy sails. Tacking has never been her strength. We are in the middle of the pack now. The ‘Eendracht’ and the smaller yachts do very well. In the group of classical ships, the ‘Pride of Baltimore II’ clearly is the fastest. We compare ourselves to the Japanese schooner ‘Akogare’, which is still behind us. The wind also brings the movements of the sea: some people are a bit seasick, but no one seriously. We do a nice 8 knots, the sun and the clouds make a beautiful picture. It is a pity that the other ships are no longer in sight. Everyone is getting used to the rhythm; the athmosphere is fine.

July 24, 2000 14:08 GMT
It was a great sail event in Halifax. The weather was extremely good and there were many ships present. Halifax has a beautiful, natural harbor and all ships lay close together. In the race from Boston we eventually finished 3rd in our class. An excellent achievement regarding the fast fishing schooners that were in our class too, although we secretly hoped for the first place of course. The definite winner was the ‘Pride of Baltimore’.
We have now started for the race from Halifax to Amsterdam. Due to the good circumstances, the Parade of Sail out of Halifax was a huge success, as was the start of the race. Although we did not start that well at all, we soon catched up on the field.
Now, 24 hours later, there is almost no wind. Next to us the ‘Krusenshtern’, they too have barely enough speed to be able to steer. Of course the lighter ships still make some progress, but for us there is nothing to do but wait for some wind. Our first waypoint is Sable Island, which we will leave to the north some fifty miles. Via another waypoint more eastward we will head straight for the English Channel. The area here near Nova Scotia is known for its fog and icebergs. Depending on the wind and the weather forecasts, we maybe will decide to go a bit more to the south to join the Gulfstream and to avoid the icebergs.

July 19, 2000 21:20 GMT
#1: After a few busy days Sail Boston was over. Many parties, much visitors and a lot of sunny weather too. We enjoyed the fireworks, amazing. Only in America. Next preparing for the race to Halifax. All trainees came aboard and everybody was looking forward to the race.
We left Boston on Sunday, July 16. The Parade of Sail was not a big success. A hard wind was blowing in the wrong direction so we could not sail, and a heavy fog ensured that the spectators hardly saw the ships. Due to this fog (visbility 200 meters) the starting line was expanded and more time was scheduled between the individual starts. It stayed foggy all night. The many echoes on the radar screen and the sinister sound of foghorns everywhere, made an exciting start of the race.
It is less foggy now, but still the wind blows in the wrong direction. Many ships, including ours, didn’t make many miles and many are still packed together. We hope for better winds and we keep on trimming the sails. Nevertheless, everyone aboard is in a good mood.

#2 :The mist returned quickly, already two days of fog. Often the visiblity is less than 100 meters. Despite this fog, everyone is racing fanatically. After the first day the wind got better. This night, we rounded the southern point of Nova Scotia, a speed about 8-10 knots. As mentioned, the visbility was bad, and the presence of fishing ships and others sailing ships both added to the excitement. We are doing fine in the race, 8th place overall and third in our class, but we haven’t finished, so nothing is certain.
It seems to get less foggy now. Beside us the ‘Arung Samudera’, an Indonesian three-masted schooner and 2nd in our class. (That’s one we passed this night.)

July 13, 2000 15:14 GMT
Good weather during the Parade. This week six receptions aboard. Today change of crew. The ship has a comfortable berth, at the pier in front of the Harbor Hotel, Boston.

July 10, 2000 17:32 GMT
After a huge parade of sail, the fireworks of the 4th of July and some daytrips we left for Boston on Saturday morning. New York was like a movie, everything large and much of it.
Up the East river, through the town. Slowly everything became green and the mighty skyline disappeared below the horizon. Long Island Sound, clearly a rich neighbourhood, nice sailing with a little wind from the west. Anchor down at Peconic, Long Island.
On July 9 early departure, no wind, going on engine, later on great sailing. 3 hours till we reached Cape Cod Channel, after which we lowered the anchor again. Cape Cod Channel turned out to be a real party, people waving and greeting us everywhere. We’re now sailing fully rigged just near Boston.

July 5, 2000 02:12 GMT
Yesterday the World Trade Centre was the first thing we saw of New York, 24 miles away. Anchor down at Sandy Hook Bay, 10 miles south of Coney Island. This afternoon we arrived in New York. Already very busy, many large warships too. 36 tall ships class A, from 19 countries, the biggest sailing event ever. Tomorrow Parade of Sail. Clinton will be on the carrier ‘JF Kennedy’ watching it.

July 2, 2000 18:41 GMT
Left Atlantic City this morning, no wind at all. At this moment controlling the helm is 78 year old Jan Appelo from Chattanooga TN, descendent from the Appelo family that in 1918 built the ‘Oosterschelde’.

Programme New York:
July 4: Parade of Sail in the morning, we will arrive at Pier 36, in the afternoon sailing with some of our guests and in the evening a party aboard the ship while enjoying the Independence Day fireworks. On July 5 we will go sailing with guests again. On July 6 and 7 the ship is open to the public, from 12:00. Departure for Boston is scheduled for the 8th. Pier 36 is in Manhattan, East River, 400 meters east from Manhattan Bridge.

July 1, 2000:
Half sailing, half on engine due to the lack of wind. Friday around noon we left the bay. In the afternoon we spotted three pilot whales and some tortoises. Today we lowered the anchor at 14:20, right in front of the Atlantic City beach, New Jersey’s Las Vegas. Roaring powerboats and crying jetskis surrounded us. Bays and harbors are all to shallow for us and keep us on the sea. We will leave tomorrow and head for Sandy Hook Bay, 8 miles south of Coney Island. ETA July 3.

June 29, 2000:
We left at noon. We are sailing in a big Parade of Sail towards Chesapeake Bay. In front of us the ‘Guayas’ from Ecuador, behind us the ‘Capitan Miranda’ from Uruguay. We will sail to the south, out of the bay and then towards New York. About 400 miles to go. ETA New York July 3.

June 27, 2000 22:49 GMT
Arrival in Baltimore at 16:00. Good spot, downtown, besides the old ‘Constellation’. It’s hot. Monday evening reception in honor of the opening in Baltimore of an office of the Port Authority of Rotterdam, with the mutual ambassadors and the Rotterdam Boys Choir. ETD: June 29 at 11:30.

June 26, 2000 23:16 GMT
Departed on Wednesday morning and sailing. Most of our passengers are Americans, by the way. We had a good opportunity to sail all to the entrance of Potomac River, which leads to Washington DC. Pelicans around us, sometimes an osprey. We anchored south of Smith Point. This morning no wind and hot. On engines we headed for Annapolis, where we dropped anchor a short while ago.

From the shipping company (June 22, 2000)
Due to great interest, the travels at the American East coast are now fully booked.

June 21, 2000 00:07 GMT
Departure with all ships this morning. We were one of the few ships that really sailed this first part. Steadily sailing the whole day, we reached Chesapeake Bay. Many people, both ashore and in small boats, welcomed us. At 17:00 we lowered the anchor for the night near the lighthouse ‘New Point Comfort’, located at the entrance of Mobjack Bay.

June 19, 2000 17:10 GMT
On the 15th we raised anchor and in a Parade of Sail we sailed to Norfolk, all the ships together. Many people ashore. The weather is hot and moisty. ETD for Baltimore June 20. Large fireworks on Saturday night. All very crowded, many visitors, many invitations. Sunday evening was spectaculair: a thunder storm with rain and wind reaching 12 Bft and above. The pontons of Cisne Branco, Sagres and Gorch Fock almost floated away. Minor damage, none on Oosterschelde. Tuesday 09:00 departure.

June 14, 2000 13:01 GMT
After a day without wind, we now do a comfortable 11 knots in a beautiful SW 4 Bft. This morning at 02:00 we passed Cape Hatteras.
ETA at our anchorage in the roads of Lynnhaven is today at 20:00. From there the Parade into Norfolk (VA) starts on Friday morning. Our berth in Norfolk will be near the NOAA, at the foot of York Street.

From the shipping company (14.6, 2000)
Dutch television will show portraits of 4 tall ships, prior to Sail Amsterdam. The ‘Oosterschelde’ is one of them. The portraits will be shown on Sunday nights around 18:00 on TV2 (AVRO).
Dates are: July 30: Amerigo Vespucci, August 6: Oosterschelde, August 13: Krusenshtern, August 20: Christian Radich.
The tv crew joined us during the 3rd voyage in the Hebrides, in 1999.

June 11, 2000 14:05 GMT
The tall ships left Miami on June 10, in a big parade of sail. We invited some to sail along for a couple of hours and they left us during a short stop at Port Everglades. We are now on the way to Norfolk, with 12 new enthousiastic passengers from Miami. The Gulfstream pushes us with 3 knots in the right direction, we sometimes do 11 knots. Slowly we get used to the watches and the sea again. Wind ESE 5 Bft. It is very quiet out here. ETA Norfolk June 16.

From the shipping company (June 9, 2000)
Plans for 2001 slowly get some shape. The ‘Oosterschelde’ will stay in Europe. Possibly we will participate in the Kieler Woche (June), Sail Antwerp (July) and the Festival of the Sea in Portsmouth (August). Of course there will be voyages for individual passengers, possibly to southern England and Ireland, possibly also to Bergen (Norway) and Rostock (Baltic coast, Germany).

June 7, 2000 22:22 GMT
We have arrived in Miami (USA) on Tuesday morning June 6, just after midnight, being the first tall ship at the quay. During the day, the other ships came sailing in, some with their crew members on the yards. Today, Wednesday June 7, was the opening day of the sail festival. Many early risers came to have a look at the fleet. The weather still is beautiful. Lots of red tape again, but that is almost done now. Many visitors jump at our offer to sail along to the next harbour, Norfolk in Virginia.

June 4, 2000 a06:16 GMT
We are almost at the end of the Old Bahama Channel, between Cuba and the Great Bahama Bank. For days now we benefit by the Easterly tradewind and the lower square sail is never lowered. Because of the fair weather, we do a lot of painting. We built a swimming pool on deck, made pictures from the dinghy and caught three tunnies. The athmosphere is international; languages on board are: Spanish, Dutch, English and French. 200 miles to go to Miami.
ETA Miami: morning of Monday June 5.

June 1, 2000 01:23 GMT
The day before departure, we organised a captain’s dinner aboard, in an informal and friendly athmosphere.
Monday morning, May 29: Parade of Sail out. Everywhere crewmembers in harnesses, preparing the sails and rigging. One by one the ships cast off and with all sails we sail past El Moro, a fortress of old San Juan, the wind a beautiful SE 3-4 Bft.
On May 30 we sail by the Dominican Republic, doing 5 knots in the tradewind. On deck, we do some painting and potato-peeling. It is very quiet now, compared to San Juan.
Last night (May 31) we did some 9 knots. Behind us a modern racing yacht and, at 15 miles, the 117 year old wooden barquentine ‘Gazela’, Philadelphia’s tall ship.

May 27, 2000 20:17 GMT
San Juan. After completing the formalities, the big party started. Everywhere crews’ parties and formal captains’ meetings. Every time the ship is open to the public, hundreds of people visit the ‘Oosterschelde’.
12 locals want to sail along with us to Miami and they will join us on the way out of San Juan on Monday May 29, when the Parade of Sail starts at 13:00.

May 25, 2000 01:05 GMT
We stayed on Saint Martin (French side, Marigot Bay) for the whole day, we sailed our sloop to the Dutch side for a visit. On May 19, we sailed to Anguilla (Prickley Pear Cays), where we swam in huge waves on a white beach. In the night we continued to the British Virgin Islands, we arrived in Spanish Town. The next day we went to The Bight on Norman island, it was like a real pirate island, two pubs, no houses. Our next stop was San Juan, where we are now and where we for the first time joined the tall ships’ fleet and a series of sail events and tall ships’ races that will dominate the rest of our summer.
Every afternoon we have ‘open ship’ for many, many interested people. Lots of paperwork and red tape for the authorities; they want us to do safety drills on deck, they want to check out all of the 130 lifesaving vests.
ETD San Juan to Miami: May 27.

May 17, 2000 22:43 GMT
We arrived in Falmouth at the south of Antigua on May 14. An expensive harbour, loaded with big yachts. We drank cocktails on a terrace. The next morning we did some diving and saw the wreck of a 1905 threemaster, gone down in Deep Bay on the west side. Next stop Nevis, sailing there with the wind in the back. Arrival at Saba in the moonlight. A stair with 800 steps leads to the village on this Dutch island. We did some diving again, meeting tortoises and little sharks, and going through tunnels and entering caves. We left for St. Maarten on May 17 at 17:00.

From the shipping company (May 17, 2000)
The June/July edition of the English magazine Traditional Boats & Tall Ships contains an article on the ‘Oosterschelde’, with photographs taken during the 3rd Antarctica expedition, of last February.

May 14, 2000 17:52 GMT
We spent a day in Roseau, capital of (the island) Dominica and toured the island in a minibus. We left on May 13, did some nice sailing along the green mountains of Dominica. We had dolphins and pilot whales around the ship. Next we entered the group ëles-des-Saints, in the south of the Guadeloupe region, impressive rocks and green hills. In the evening we arrived in the friendly french town of Bourg des Saints. On May 14, we sailed along the west coast of Guadeloupe, on our way to Antigua. Everything is marvelous.

May 11, 2000 20:09 GMT
Last night we arrived at Martinique. Nice sunset, we made 10 knots. Just before midnight, we anchored at Grand Anse d’Arlet. In the morning we see white beaches and palmtrees. We take a walk in a French village and we do some diving in the crystal clear water. Flying fish almost enter the dinghy, there are many of them. This afternoon (May 11) we will leave for Dominica.

May 10, 2000 23:53 GMT
We now leave Castries and sail to Martinique. Like the last days, Castries still is very alive because of a jazz-festival.

From the shipping company (May 10, 2000)
The last edition of Oosterschelde-Nieuws mentioned television broadcasting of the Rotterdam-Rio de Janeiro voyage (Fall 1999, Villa Lobos project). The mentioned dates have been changed to June 5, 6, 7 and 8. Channel: Nederland 3. Time: 19:25-19:55. Broadcasts will be repeated the next day from 12:25-12:55, same channel.

May 8, 2000:
On May 8 at 11:00 we sailed into Castries on St. Lucia, an industrial town, completely different from the nice places we went to so far. After our departure from St. George op May 4, we sailed on the tradewind to the west side of Grenada, where we dived in Halifax Bay. We did the same in Tobago Cays, where we went the next day; we also sailed the wooden sloop. On Union Island we were invited by the local population to a steelband concert and to a rum punch. We all enjoy this voyage.

From the shipping company (May 6, 2000)
Daytrips for our supporters and those who are interested in the ‘Oosterschelde’: Oct 20, Oct 21 and Oct 22 bring daytrips out of Hellevoetsluis, on inner water.

May 5, 2000:
We arrived at Grenada on May 3, after days of fast sailing on the constant tradewinds. Everyone visited the beautiful island. In the afternoon of May 4 (16:00, 20:00 GMT) we left Grenada. We will try to find a quiet beach for our barbecue. After that we plan to go to Tobago Cays to do some diving between the reefs. After that we will sail to St. Lucia.

May 1, 2000 01:52 GMT
More than 1000 nautical miles in 5 days. Constant ENE 4-6 Bft. Noon position on April 30: 08 54 N and 055 52 W. ETA Grenada May 2. We celibrated Queen’s Day.

Apr 25, 2000 21:06 GMT
We passed the equator on April 25. For the first time since October 10 last year, the ship is in the Northern hemisphere. On this occasion, Neptune inaugurated five persons. We sailed well during the last days. The intertropic convergence gave us squally weather and showers. Still 1300 nautical miles to go to Tobago, which we would like to visit.

Apr 22, 2000 16:54 GMT
We left Recife on April 20 at 16:00. We sailed north with a very nice trade-wind. Today we passed Cape Calcanhar, we are around the corner so to speak, and now we sail half wind, with the current in the back.

Apr 16, 2000:
We left Salvador on April 13. Tall ships ‘Sagres’ and ‘Cisne Branco’ just entered the harbour. The last one is a new Brazilian navy ship, sister to the new Amsterdam tall ship ‘Stad Amsterdam’ that will start sailing this summer. After a quiet journey we arrived in Recife on April 16. It is very hot.

From the shipping company (Apr 12, 2000)
In our stores we discovered another 200 copies of the world trip 1996-1998 book. So, it is on sale again (see the shop on this site). The book is all in Dutch.

Apr 11, 2000:
We have arrived in Salvador (Brasil) on April 10, after a nice voyage.

From the shipping company (Apr 6, 2000)
During the 3rd Antarctica voyage Hylke Tromp made photographs. To the interested, he offers 12 of them in digital format (JPEG). If you would like to have them, just send him an e-mail at the address of the shipping company. It is a 4 Mb package.

Apr 4, 2000 17:35 GMT
We already did some 700 nautical miles. We sailed wonderfully throughout the whole weekend in a southerly 5-6 Bft. Flying fishes, rough-toothed dolphins. We caught and ate some yellow fintuna. On April 1 the captain received a mysterious VHF call from the Uruguayan navy, but the call originated in the galley. Fool’s day!

Apr 1, 2000 02:30 GMT
After many days of waiting, the ‘Oosterschelde’ finally left Buenos Aires on March 30 at 19:00 hrs local time. Some importants parts and materials (a.o. a new sail) were shipped to us, from Rotterdam to Buenos Aires. The ship that carried this cargo, was delayed in Rio de Janeiro as well as in Santos. Every day they promised us a soon arrival but the ship didn’t show up. Finally we got it all, some 14 days behind schedule. ETA Recife stays the same. Maybe the ‘Oosterschelde’ will visit one or more harbours en route, but this is not for sure. Noon position on March 31 is: south of Montevideo.

Mar 15, 2000 15:34 GMT
It’s still very hot. The maintenance goes well, there is especially much to paint. Estimated time of departure for Recife March 25 (ETA April 16). It is not yet sure whether we’ll stop in Rio de Janeiro and Salvador.

Mar 2, 2000 19:32 GMT
We arrived in Buenos Aires, Yachtclub Argentino, March 2 at 13:00. Moist and very hot. Estimated time for departure to Rio de Janeiro March 26.

Mar 1, 2000 22:10 GMT
We’re sailing on Rio de la Plata since 06:00 this morning but we didn’t see land until now (March 1, 18:00). A big river. Rolling in the stream of mud, with a forceful backstay wind. March 1, noon position: 35 42 S 056 36 W. Round midnight we’ll lower anchor in the roads of La Plata. Tomorrow morning at 07:00 a pilot will board the ship for the final part. Estimated time of arrival in Buenos Aires March 2 12:00, now another 69 miles.

Previous messages have not been archived.